Call us now ! Send us an email States

Back to Top

Plumbing Tips From the Experts in San Pedro

Plumber Repairing a Broken Pipe in a Septic Field

Mend a Leaking or Broken Pipe

  • Turn off the main shutoff valve to stop water from damaging the area.
  • Make short-term repairs to halt the leak. A piece of bicycle inner tube or garden hose with a hose clamp around it will allow you to turn the water on briefly, until a plumber arrives.
  • The pipe will have to be changed as soon as it's expedient to do so.

Fix a Faucet That Will Not Shut Off

  • Instantly turn off the water at the fixture shutoff valve underneath the sink.
  • If there's no valve there, turn off the main shutoff.
  • Repair the faucet or, if necessary, replace it.

Unclog a Stopped-Up Sink

  • Shut off any faucet or appliance (such as the dishwasher) that's draining into the sink.
  • Unclog the sink using a plunger or snake.
  • DON'T use a chemical drain cleaner if the line is completely blocked.

Maintain Your Toilet When Faced With a Variety of Issues

If you are experiencing a noisy toilet, check for restricted water flow and a faulty ball-cock assembly. To mend your noisy toilet, do the following:
  • Amend the shutoff valve first.
  • Oil the trip lever or replace the ball-cock washers.
  • Swap the entire ball-cock assembly.
  • CAUTION: First turn off the water at the fixture shutoff valve. Then flush the toilet to empty the tank and sponge out any remaining water.
If you are experiencing a running toilet, check for:
  • Float arm not rising high enough.
  • Water-filled float ball.
  • Tank stopper not seating properly.
  • Corroded flush-valve seal.
  • Cracked overflow tube.
  • Ball-cock valve doesn't shut off.
Remedies for a running toilet include:
  • Bend float arm down or away from tank wall.
  • Replace ball.
  • Adjust stopper guide rod and lift wires or chain.
  • Replace defective stopper.
  • Scour valve seat or replace it.
  • Replace tube or install new flush valve assembly.
  • Oil trip lever, replace faulty washers, or install new ball-cock assembly.